Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Six Weeks of Birds!


My name is Ellen Munshower and I am the other intern that was hired by ASI to assist in the fall bird banding season. I moved up here in August from Minnesota and have not only been able to take advantage of this incredible learning opportunity at Creamers Field, but I have also been able to explore this beautifully wild state. The position here gave me time to travel all around Alaska and I've seen more wildlife here than I have in any other state in the US. While working at the banding station I saw so many birds- not just those caught in the nets, but the thousands of Sandhill Cranes out in the fields before they headed south, and all of the waterfowl and birds of prey that call the nature preserve their seasonal home. This experience was so much more rewarding than simply bird watching at a nature preserve because I was learning new skills and working alongside volunteers and staff members that have years of avian knowledge they were happy to share with me. I have learned practical skills that will help me as I apply to future positions, and I have had the rewarding experience of being able to work on a project that I care about. I felt welcomed and respected by everyone at ASI and I will miss the little tent in the woods where I learned how to band and ID songbirds. Thank you to everyone that I worked with who made this internship so wonderful, and to those of you who contribute to the Alaska Songbird Institute- either through donations or by volunteering- and make the research and internship possible.


P.S. Today (Wednesday, September 25th) was our last day and here are our stats:


No comments:

Post a Comment